Outsourcee

This is the other side of the story. The other side of all those jobs that disappeared from the US of A, the ones people debate over endlessly on Slashdot. I'm one of the people who do those jobs. When I read those debates on Slashdot, on CNN, on the Indian Express, I wonder if they know what it feels like to be the guy who's taken those jobs. Here's what it's like...

Name:
Location: Karnataka, India

My writing tries to do the one thing I'd like to be able to do : Express emotion in the restricted vocabulary of language. Besides that, I find I'm an outsider to the human world, constantly trying to catch and analyze thinking patterns, adding them to my psyche when I can.

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Saturday

So this is a Saturday aftenoon, and I'm sitting here in the office wondering why I came here in the first place. Mostly its because I have to go see a movie in the evening, so I figured I could get to the office first, see if I have a mail from my client.

I dont. Either he was shell-shocked by the bugfix I proposed to him, or he's still laughing his ass off. Or maybe he was "working from home" yesterday, which meant he connected to the net and did whatever management he does from the comfort of his armchair. Either way, I have no response from him, so I am not sure how he wants me to proceed.

Welcome to the daily dilemma of the outsourcee.

Yes, I'm defining that word now. An 'outsourcer' is an (usually American) employer who decided to get some of his work done by cheaper programmers from cheaper countries, like India. I, an outsourcee, am the person at the other end of the transaction. I'm the guy who comes to work every day and does whatever said outsourcer (or manager working in outsourcing company) has assigned to me. The Indian guy who's 'stealing the american jobs away'. There are thousands like me. I cant say with honesty that I'm talking on behalf of all of them, but just being able to talk about my job and what I deal with, is enough for me, for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home