Outsourcee

This is the other side of the story. The other side of all those jobs that disappeared from the US of A, the ones people debate over endlessly on Slashdot. I'm one of the people who do those jobs. When I read those debates on Slashdot, on CNN, on the Indian Express, I wonder if they know what it feels like to be the guy who's taken those jobs. Here's what it's like...

Name:
Location: Karnataka, India

My writing tries to do the one thing I'd like to be able to do : Express emotion in the restricted vocabulary of language. Besides that, I find I'm an outsider to the human world, constantly trying to catch and analyze thinking patterns, adding them to my psyche when I can.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Equal rights for contractors?

There's a very interesting story/discussion on Slashdot, here.

What they're discussing is, when contractors are hired by an IT company, they are expected to perform as well as regular employees. Why then do they not get the same level of benefits? The discussion currently seems to be talking about American 'contractors', not the Indian outsourcing counterpart. Yet, once an Indian company (say Wipro) takes over a major portion of the work from the outsourcer, once it starts driving the architectural and marketing decision, it is going to to feel entitled to some portion of product revenues, IP benefits, and publicity. This, of course, goes against everything that defines 'outsourcing' today. However, we are moving towards that frontier, slowly but surely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home