Outsourcee

This is the other side of the story. The other side of all those jobs that disappeared from the US of A, the ones people debate over endlessly on Slashdot. I'm one of the people who do those jobs. When I read those debates on Slashdot, on CNN, on the Indian Express, I wonder if they know what it feels like to be the guy who's taken those jobs. Here's what it's like...

Name:
Location: Karnataka, India

My writing tries to do the one thing I'd like to be able to do : Express emotion in the restricted vocabulary of language. Besides that, I find I'm an outsider to the human world, constantly trying to catch and analyze thinking patterns, adding them to my psyche when I can.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Feedback (so far)

Feedback No. 1:

The entire article is working on a premise that only low end work is outsourced.
This is changing sooner than you can think.
The company where I work, has completly outsourced new development to BSL.
Windows XP home edition is developed in India.
Oracle 10g (Parts of it are developed in India).
So that argument is flawed.
We are getting there in terms of being customer centric and writing good code but we have some way to go.

Feedback No. 2:
[Building on FB1]

Yep,
We, in India,are developing the Turnkey Solution for Kuwait Stock Exchange and Muscat Stock Exchange and all companies that qualified for the last round were Indian.....:)

Feedback No. 3:

Q for outsourcee ...

What is the effect of all the noise on an outsourcee? On morale? Including call center ones?

When we had people going for Y2K problem, many people were critical and called them 'code coolies'. Those people have now spread out and are doing themselves and India good.

How do outsourcee feel when called code coolies? Does it makes you feel let down or push back at these people or don't care?

If the feeling different than when people in US are critical? Does it makes you feel important or push back at these people or don't care?

Feedback No. 4:
[More general questions, typical stuff asked by Americans]

Are you a swaet shop worker?
Does your employer squeeze your nuts dry?
Are you allowed right to talk back?
In US it is all about freedom, why you let them oppress you ?
Are all computer programmer high caste people?

Feedback No. 5:
[An Indian working in US asks :]

1. i wonder if i come back people will bitch about me .. like i say something and they will be .. sala US say aaya hai ... thnks he is hero
2. My old company, MNC-with-Indian-branch, was like that ... we had to fight bak not to be treated like 'naukar' .. it had a strong lala company attitude we had to fight ... now people tell me that attitute is spreading ... really?

Feedback No. 6:

Just got a chance to read your outsourcee blog. Its wonderful. I wish I could write and maintain my impressions about my job like you do. I'm sure your impressions about your job will change over time as your job profile itself would change. But this is fantastic. Keep it up.

My take on the subject is that we all have our own destinies. Why do we do these jobs? Has the US forced these jobs on us? Why should the US offer us technically challenging work? Why do we expect them to treat us as first class citizens in the industry? The beggars are seldom the choosers.

And considering the bad state of our economy, government, general living standard of country and the attitude of all of us, look at what the outsourcing has done to our life? If outsourcing was not to happen, what would happen to us? What would we end up doing? What would be our standard of living?

Though I understand that the primary intention of the blog is to paint the other side of the outsourcing picture, what is its main point? What do you want to arrive at?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home