Outsourcee

This is the other side of the story. The other side of all those jobs that disappeared from the US of A, the ones people debate over endlessly on Slashdot. I'm one of the people who do those jobs. When I read those debates on Slashdot, on CNN, on the Indian Express, I wonder if they know what it feels like to be the guy who's taken those jobs. Here's what it's like...

Name:
Location: Karnataka, India

My writing tries to do the one thing I'd like to be able to do : Express emotion in the restricted vocabulary of language. Besides that, I find I'm an outsider to the human world, constantly trying to catch and analyze thinking patterns, adding them to my psyche when I can.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

IM Vs. Blogging

The past few days have been very interesting. Nearly everyone I know (and others, whom I dont know that well) have IM'ed me, or caught up with me near the water cooler to give me his/her opinions on this blog. I could probably count the time I spent arguing with these guys in days. (If you need to wonder if I might be referring to YOU, then you're probably right)

I'm all for the immediacy of IM as opposing to the static art of composing emails and articles. But guys, if you have something to add to the discussion, give it to me in a form I can put up on the blog! Chat transcripts dont make for good blog posts. A couple of paragraphs where you've put together your arguments is much better, and I guarantee that it'll be published for everyone to think about.

I don't want stuff that agrees with me. Since I'm acting the part of a doomsayer, I'd be more than happy to get positive refutations of my arguments. I would be overjoyed to get convincing details of India's dominance. But please, PLEASE, write it out in an honest way and send it to me in one piece. Eloquence is not a requirement, just honest, logical arguments. From your IMs and discussions, I know you're capable of that much.

1 Comments:

Blogger W0lf said...

As you have mentioned elsewhere in your blog, outsourcing is definitely motivated first by economics, quality consciousness comes later.

Any outsourcee who has 'worked' (sorry, should i have said 'scoped a project'?) on-site for long periods of time inevitably percieves who his real friends are ... the CEO and Directors of Engineering who 'engineered' the outsourcing drive, and not co-workers from the outsourcer company.

But disregarding this, this bias can be overcome through individual brilliance and hard-work. So really, there's no point in being cynical about it. Even in the manufacturing industry, other countries (Japan, for instance) have also first begun by competing on price, and then on quality.

Considering the economic condition most of our countrymen live in, I think any work is good, quality of the work will come over time, as we adapt to our clients' work culture.

Its better to think and learn from our experiences than to gripe about not getting the best of everything.

I have heard from people who've sold software products in the US that people prefer to buy products from people they know. This could be actual acquaintances or brand names. We are currently in the first phase (most of Indian offhore contracts originate from old-boys networks among IIT alumni), will take some time going into the second.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home