Outsourcee

This is the other side of the story. The other side of all those jobs that disappeared from the US of A, the ones people debate over endlessly on Slashdot. I'm one of the people who do those jobs. When I read those debates on Slashdot, on CNN, on the Indian Express, I wonder if they know what it feels like to be the guy who's taken those jobs. Here's what it's like...

Name:
Location: Karnataka, India

My writing tries to do the one thing I'd like to be able to do : Express emotion in the restricted vocabulary of language. Besides that, I find I'm an outsider to the human world, constantly trying to catch and analyze thinking patterns, adding them to my psyche when I can.

Monday, September 20, 2004

Your typical "Offshore outsourcing" debate

This article - Offshore outsourcing - perfectly illustrates the typical debate on the net about outsourcing. The major portion of the participants are Americans. They'll be about evenly split between "outsourcing is an economic reality, lets face it", and " CEOs are selling our country and living standards down the drain for money". Maybe, if this were on Slashdot, there'll be a few Indians gloating about how much work is inevitably coming to India.
Fear not, Americans! While a lot of the simpler coding jobs are moving to India, I dont see us taking over your country for some years to come. There are several things that need to happen before then. Dont worry, going by the trends, Indians are beginning to realize that just doing outsourced work does not move them into any sort of competition with the companies actually doing the creative stuff.
I've been facing criticism over the past few days for being a pessimistic SoB and using the language Americans use about us : code-monkeys, software coolies, what have you. So let me try to list out the things that'll make me shut up and agree that India's a real competitor in the global arena :

- Software products marked with Indian brands are marketed by Indians worldwide. They may be made by Vietnamese for all I care : the branding has to be Indian and the revenue earned by selling them has to go into Indian products.

- Standards forming bodies like the IEEE, W3C, etc have significant Indian presence. I dont mean NRIs, I mean Indians working for Indian companies, who will use the standards they make in their products.

- Indian Technological patents and proof-of-concepts of these patents are comparable to the best of whatever the best is at the time.

I hope you get the drift.

[ I'm still thinking over this one. Comment away, but realize that I'll be further adding to this post soon. ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home